Thursday, October 27, 2011

Remodeling Hell: Prologue, Part I

I apologize its been almost 2 weeks since the last blog.  We ended up having to rent a storage unit to store all of our belongings so that it won't get dusty from the interior demolition.  We have been doing nothing but packing our stuff and going to the storage unit in the evenings when CT and my brother Eddie are home from work.  After the corbels were installed on the exterior, CAT and CET had to move out of their room to start the demolition and framing of the laundry and power room.  So KWT and CAT are sharing a room and CET is in with us.  We are now crammed into two bedrooms and a partial family room.  This past Monday, they starting demo'ing the kitchen and the interior walls of the family room.  Wow!  The space is really opened up.  The contractor set up a kitchen for us in the garage (took some of the old kitchen cabinets and put them up). Today a guy came to cover the brick on the fireplace.  Only 4 more days until the fire insert gets installed (although my kids are thinking, only 4 more days until Halloween)!  The plumber came today and will come tomorrow to finish the gas and water lines.  The other day our contractor got a call letting him know that the shingles are now in, so once he finishes framing the area between the entry and kitchen, he will start installing the shingles.

So, what do I think of the first week of Hell?  Well, it's really hard to find anything because I can't remember where or which box I put stuff in.  There is hardly any room to walk in my bedroom, there is drywall dust everywhere (I mean everywhere!).  But so far, I guess it's not that bad.  I know there will be an end and the result is what I'm looking forward to.

The kids are doing well considering.  They adjust well, but I try to given them a heads up before anything happens.  We are usually late for all their after school activities because I seem to always have a conversation with the contractor before we have to leave.  Oh, well.  I think CET is a little tired of being ignored.  Tomorrow I will have to not think about organizing the kitchen in the garage or the piles of stuff in the two bedroom, or go through all the papers that I need to go through....no, tomorrow will have to be a fun, stress free day for CET, because he has had to put up with a lot the past couple of weeks.  He seems fine, and puts up with what is going on.  But CT and I know that he is a little confused about what is happening to our house and he feels the stress of moving all our stuff out and losing all his "things".  So tomorrow will be a play day...at least in the morning. 

Sorry, no pictures tonight.  I have more pictures to take when it's daylight, so I will post tomorrow after our fun play day!

No comments:

Post a Comment